Beginning with the 11th century A.D. Phimai was possibly the most important northwestern base
of the Khmer empire. To this day the town continues to maintain its typical rectangular
grid-like layout of streets, and its numerous water reservoirs remain well intact.
The fortress-like town wall encloses an oblong-shaped old town approximately 1700 x 3000 feet
in circumference and is surrounded by the Moon, Khem and Chakkarat Rivers.
Beyond, the town has grown into a district center of modern appearance containing hospitals,
markets of various sizes, governmental services and a palatial court house,
with approximately 10,000 inhabitants living in the town itself.
Smart phone users please press menu symbol in upper right corner for more information and pictures.